Monday, February 22, 2016

EDUC 333: My "Subjective I's"

I used to describe myself as unbiased (Check out another article from tolerance.org. about Bias- Click here!) This statement came from the lack of knowledge I had about my points of subjectivity that can develop into personal or cultural biases. It turns out that I have some "Subjective I's" that have the opportunity to either make it or break it in my future classroom, especially a multicultural classroom.

The first of these four "I's" is what I call my "Sticking to the Script I." This is an I that when explored, is absolutely true about myself, I just did not expect it to come alive during our class interview. During the interview I moved briskly from one question to the next with my interviewee, checking the time as we went, making sure that we were "sticking to the script." This is a tendency I know that I have, ESPECIALLY in terms of my teacher education. I want to meet all the requirements, dot all the I's and cross all the T's, making sure I have done exactly what was called for. I have also found this to ring true in my lesson planning. I will be honest, I have a bit of a complex when it comes to lesson planning. First of all, I spend way to long on them. Second, I have struggled with feeling married to the lesson plans I write, trying to stick to the script of it even in teaching. If there is one thing I have learned through experiences of trial and error it is this: You must be flexible. You cannot let the lesson plan control you.

In a multicultural setting, I must realize that the unique qualities, needs, and experiences of my students may cause the lesson to veer off course according to the written lesson plan. But if that veering off course leads to greater engagement and learning moments for students- have we really veered off course? Am I really wanting to just travel safely to get from point A to point B with my students without any bumps or waves crashing along the way? No!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!" -Unknown

Shouldn't the same be true about our teaching? We want to ask the hard questions, go through the trial and error, and endure a healthy struggle which will lead to overall growth and increased knowledge that will impact future learning. To ignore this I is to say that I will expect my students to stick to a script the same way I do. Do I want this? Absolutely not. I want my classroom to be a safe place where students can feel comfortable to discuss and speak up without the fear of "being wrong." I will not put my students in a box.

My next I is scary to me. It is my "Marginalization-Inclination I," the I that comes from what I have referred to as the "call to help those who are marginalized." My fear with this I is that I will go into my classrooms that represent a diverse population of students, and assume that they all have these hard lives that I am going to get to improve. I cannot view teaching as a way for me to be "the savior" of my students because the truth is that all students are not going to feel marginalized (There will be students who do, but I cannot assume right off the bat that every home life is broken.) Rather, I need to work to understand my students and to build relationships with them, learning about who they are and then using that information to be conscious in my planning and teaching. This I can lead to an environment that is based on the foundation of one idea about my students....The following is a Ted Talk (I'm all about Ted Talks, I accredit this to my favorite high school history teacher) on what is called "the danger of a single story" and how it creates stereotypes. (A bit long but definitely worth the watch!)



My Jesus Christ I is the I that comes from my preference toward the essence of Christianity and the notion that it defines how I live my life. What if my definition of morality gets in the way of forming positive connections with all students? How will I respond to students of different religions or even sexual orientations? If this I has the ability to wander free, I will endure some serious challenges. Instead of letting my relationship with Jesus turn into something negative, why not let it become positive? Why not look to Jesus, truly understanding His character and heart for serving others, even different from himself, and treat my students the same. To be cliche, What would Jesus do?

The last I is something I have struggled with since reaching adolescence; being easily influenced. I have always found myself to be a bit of a chameleon, and I have in past experiences tended to be easily influenced by the views of friends and significant others, allowing their views to overshadow views I thought I had. What about in teaching? I cannot let students behavior lead me to make quick assumptions or judgements about a student. The idea of letting my classroom be a place where students always have a clean slate with each new day is very important to me. I must cling to this goal in order to prevent this I from inserting itself.

Bottom line: Now that I am conscious of these biases, they have the potential to grow in whatever way I let them. I'm going to make it positive!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment